Easy Cinnamon Roll Biscuits
2 cups flour1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup applesauce (I never use vegetable oil)
3/4 cup buttermilk
70% of a stick of unsalted butter, SOFTENED (reduced from 1 stick in the original recipe)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
Cinnabon Icing- I halved the original recipe since the above recipe only makes 8 biscuits
30% of a stick of butter (reduced from 1/2 stick in the original recipe, I'm trying to shave calories & fat here and there)
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/8 cup Neufchatel cream cheese (I didn't taste a difference with the reduced fat)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
sprinkle of salt (technically should be 1/16 of a teaspoon, but....)
1. Mix together dough ingredients.
2. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface (I used too much, use less than me please).
3. Smear dough with SOFTENED butter (I use salted). The original recipe said 1 stick, but that just seems ridiculous to me. I use about 70% of a stick of butter. Then the rest of it can go in the icing and then in one iced biscuit you only end up eating 1 tablespoon butter.
4. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar.
5. Roll up dough into a log and pinch seam together.
6. Cut into 8 biscuits.
7. Arrange in greased 9 inch pan.
8. Put in the oven for about 15 minutes.
9. While you're waiting, make icing! Mix up all icing ingredients:
10. Whip until fluffy:
12. Ice biscuits while they're still warm (mine melted A LOT because I put the icing on instantly. Hey, I was hungry when I woke up and had to wait like 40 minutes for breakfast). I only did half because my boyfriend wanted to ice his biscuits individually.