Monday, September 20, 2010

Easy Yummy Dinner

*I forgot to take a picture of my casserole, so here is one off of food.com


I thought I'd share what I made for dinner tonight because it was easy, yummy, healthy, and I got 4 dinner servings & 2 lunch servings out of it.  Also, it is made of cheap ingredients, which is always a plus.  I modified this food.com recipe.

Mexican Vegetarian Casserole

2 cups cooked rice
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
1 (8 oz) carton light sour cream - I mixed it in, but I'm considering leaving it out next time and using it as a topping
1 cup salsa
1 1/2 cups reduced fat shredded cheese - I used a pre-shredded mexican blend
1/3 cup chopped onion
sprinkle of cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you want it
sprinkle of taco seasoning, depending on how spicy you want it
1/2 cups reduced fat shredded cheese to sprinkle on top
1 can black olives for topping
tortilla chips for a crunch while you eat : )

1. Preheat oven to 350.  


2. Mix the first 9 ingredients together in a large bowl.  


3. Spray the casserole dish/es with Pam.  


4. Spread the mixture into the dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.  (I used a 5x9 casserole dish and an 8x8 casserole dish. I cooked one and put the other in a freezer for another night. I covered it with foil, pressing it down so that the foil actually touched the food and then put it in a freezer bag or put the dish's lid on it).  

5. Bake for at least 25 minutes, or until the liquid is cooked off or you will end up with a very soupy dish (your liquidiness will vary based on your salsa, sour cream, etc).  Serve with olives, (sour cream if you didn't mix it in), and tortilla chips.  The chips add a nice crunchy texture to the smoothness of the casserole.

6. When you cook the frozen one it will take longer than 25 minutes.  (I haven't done this yet so I'm not sure, just keep checking for the top to be a bit brown and the liquid to have bubbled away).


My boyfriend and I each ate dinner and there is enough leftover for one lunch.  And this was only half the recipe!  The other half is in the freezer for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment