My nephew D- is in first grade now which means he could lose a tooth any day now. Or he could be like me and not lose a single tooth until second grade. When I was little we had a little pillow that looked like a hippo and the hippo's teeth were pockets. When I lost a tooth I put my tooth in the hippo's tooth pocket for the Tooth Fairy. So I wanted to make a tooth pillow for my nephew. He said he wanted his pillow to look like an actual tooth.
I went to the fabric store with him and he picked out a light pink cotton flannel fabric (my favorite quilting fabric). Then I found a tooth template. I sketched out a tooth while looking at that as a reference. I cut the first piece around my original outline so I would have a seam allowance. Then I flipped it upside down and used it as a template for the second piece of the pillow.
I decided to challenge myself and make the pocket for his teeth look like another tiny tooth instead of just a square or a semi-circle.
It took me awhile to decide how to attach it, but I ended up deciding to simply sew it on with a straight stitch and then embroider it later to hide the ugly stiches.
|Those scissors are my favorite sewing scissors. They are sharp, tiny, & pointy and also serve as my seam ripper.|
Then I pinned & sewed the two pieces together (pretty sides facing each other) while following my sketched outline.
I decided to trim some of the excess seam allowance to make it easier to turn inside out.
Inside out! It looks smaller than I thought it would.
Full of stuffing:
|I wish I had the stuffing hole further down towards the roots, but I'm lucky I even remembered to leave one. I almost forgot!|
Access hole is pinned shut and the pocket it demonstrating that the Tooth Fairy will be able to leave money in the pocket:
I need to go to the store and buy light pink embroidery thread and light pink regular thread. I'll use the regular thread to hand sew up the hole. I'll post one more picture once the pillow is completely done.
Also here is a preview of some other projects that will be posted in the coming weeks:
Superhero Capes! I'll be making my nephew D- a cape out of the dark blue and dark pink. And I'll be making my niece M- A cape out of the light pink and dark pink. I'll also be attempting to make them masks. I'm basing the project off of a Woodcraft from Sweet Juniper.
I will also be making my niece M- a dress! Here is the fabric she picked out (I'm quite impressed seeing as she's 3):
Woodcraft or one of the patterns posted up on Girls Gone Child. I may also mix in some of the light pink flannel leftover from the tooth pillow depending on the pattern I pick.