Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Wonderful World of Biscuits

I baked these in muffin tins, not realizing that they would then look like muffins and not biscuits.  Lesson learned!

I happened upon this recipe the other day and I am soooo glad that I did!  I had completely forgotten about the existence of biscuits.  They are now one of my favorite things because there is no rising involved.  So it's a quick yummy side dish for dinner.


For the first time I actually bought buttermilk instead of adding vinegar to milk as a substitute.  I'm planning on using the leftover buttermilk for some yummy pancakes this weekend.  Unfortunately I couldn't find scallions or leeks at my Super Target so I had to leave them out.  They definitely would complement these biscuits very well though and I need to make sure I have some next time I make the biscuits.


These also help me on my quest to finish off a large container of freshly ground corn meal that my parents bought for me.  We went on vacation and stopped by a small mill that ground the corn in front of you.  I promised them if they bought it I would use it all.  It's been over a year and I have a lot left to use.  So you'll hopefully be seeing several cornmeal recipes in the future on this blog.

If you like cheesy things please make these!  As you bite into it or pull pieces off of the biscuit you can see the oozey strings of cheese inside.  YUM!


Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter (or use salted butter and omit the salt like I did)
2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese
4 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
3 scallions, fine chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/3  cups well shaken buttermilk

  1. Place the oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Stir in cheeses, scallions and garlic. Hand stir the buttermilk into the mixture until just combined.
  3. Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 13-15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool about 10 minutes before serving.
Later this week I am going to make these plain buttery biscuits to go with White Bean Spinach soup.

3 comments:

  1. Just yesterday I was thinking of looking up a cheddar biscuit recipe. When I make sawmill gravy I always buy pilsbury tubes, but never again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the recipe Ian! And yes I agree, biscuits are too fast easy to buy at the store. I am very happy that they have re-entered my life.

    ReplyDelete