Thursday, September 23, 2010

Emergency Dessert - Jell-O Custard



The other night I needed dessert.  No, I'm sorry, I should make that clearer.  I NEEDED DESSERT.  It was 10pm and we didn't have anything readymade in the house.  I'm trying to have a new rule:  If I eat dessert I need to make it myself.  That way I have to put some effort into it and I can try to reduce the butter and sugar and I know what's in it.  Restaurant desserts can have 1,000 calories and you have no clue. And storebought desserts generally have high fructose corn syrup and a million ingredients I can't pronounce.

But it was 10pm, so making chocolate cookies like I wanted to wasn't very reasonable.  So I went looking through our pudding mixes.  I saw a Cook 'N' Serve custard.  I instantly knew I would make that since I had just read about Blackberries with Sweet Cream on The Pioneer Woman's site hours earlier.  Jell-O custard with thawed blueberries and strawberries mixed in was as close as I could get.  Sadly I had to let it sit in the fridge for an hour so I was eating dessert at about 11:30 at night.  Let's just say I'm having trouble with #1 on my 25 Before 25 List (lose 25 pounds).

Also, I don't have any cute little ramekins (I live a deprived life) to put the custard in because I am living in my first real apartment (post-college aka non-furnished) and my kitchen supplies leave a lot to be desired.  But never fear!  I DO have wine glasses from the dollar store!  (Really they're glass!  The dollar store is actually a sweet place to buy dishes.)

*Berries were mixed in after the custard had cooled.

2 comments:

  1. I love that it's an EMERGENCY to have some dessert. This would not qualify for me though. Need chocolate to truly satisfy. :)

    ReplyDelete