Saturday, September 25, 2010

Scrumptious Buttery Biscuits

Two days ago I made plain biscuits (once we had finished all of the cheddar biscuits and had a few days to be biscuit-free).  Then yesterday I made even more plain biscuits.  THEY WERE SO DELICIOUS!  Scrumptious, really.  They are good plain.  They are good with some butter.  They are REALLY good with a bit of strawberry jam spread in the middle.  And I bet they're really good with a bit of honey, too.

The first time I made them I forgot that I used salted butter so I put in the salt that the recipe called for.  The biscuits were a tad salty, but still very yummy.  The second time I made them I used salted butter and omitted the salt the recipe called for.  The biscuits were a tad sweet, but still very yummy.  Next time I make them I will use salted butter and then just a smidgen of salt.  I feel like Goldilocks.

The second time I made the plain biscuits I actually rolled them out and cut out the biscuits using the top of a glass.  So these ones actually look more like a traditional biscuit.  Look:

And finally, here is the recipe!  Courtesy of food.com

Buttery Biscuits
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt (OMIT IF USING SALTED BUTTER)
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
3/4 cup cold milk


1.  Mix the first 4 ingredients together.

2.  Cut the cold butter into tiny little cubes.  Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter until crumbly.  (Or do what I do and use your KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment which has been working fine for me.)

3. Mix in the cold milk.  

4. Roll or pat out the dough to 1 inch.

5. Using the top of a glass (or a biscuit cutter if you're fancy like that) cut out your biscuits.  You should get 12 biscuits but this will vary with your glass size.

6. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

7. Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.


And while I'm still in biscuit mode, check out these Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits!  They're like "healthier" (I'm using that term very loosely) cinnamon rolls!  I'm going to make these next weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. Did you forget to upload the photo of the biscuits? They sound good and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! I'll have to fix this when I get home to my camera.

    ReplyDelete