Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fancy Grilled Cheese



This may be one of the most delicious things I have ever made in my life.  I was very sad when I finished eating this sandwich at lunch today.  Please make this sandwich whenever you happen to have some leftover pesto!


Fancy Grilled Cheese

  • shredded smoked gouda
  • shredded havarti
  • basil pesto (see my recipe below)
  • sundried tomatoes (mine were not packed in oil)
  • your choice of bread (I like Arnold Sandwich thins because the bread is thin enough for the cheese to actually melt without using a sandwich press)



1. Spread one piece of bread with the pesto.

2. Stick the sundried tomatoes into the pesto so they don't fall off when you flip the piece over.

3. Spray your frying pan with Pam.  Put the second piece of bread in the pan and sprinkle it with both kinds of shredded cheese.  Place the pesto bread on top of the cheese and start cooking your delicious wonder.


I ate my grilled cheese with pita chips* and homemade hummus.  I'll post that recipe with pictures next week.

*Costco sells Stacy's pita chips for only $5.49 for a giant bag.  My boyfriend and I eat pita chips regularly and go through 2 giant bags a month.  Thank god for Costco!

Basil Pesto
*based off of this recipe

1 1/2 cups basil
2 large garlic cloves
1/4 cup diced up unsalted almonds
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup olive oil

sugar to taste, based on individual basil bitterness

Put everything, except sugar, in your food processor and blend.  Taste your pesto and if it's bitter add a bit of sugar and mix again.  Keep going until it tastes right to you.

I've noticed when I use my homegrown basil I don't need to add any, but when I use store bought I have to add what seems like tons of sugar.

Most pesto recipes include pine nuts.  I have never actually bought pine nuts and have always used unsalted almonds.  This is because one day several years ago I bought a big bag of unsalted almonds from Costco.  Then I found out that I do not like almonds when they are unsalted.  So I am slowly using the bag up as I make pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment