Friday, September 24, 2010

Vegetable Fried Rice



My boyfriend also likes baking and cooking.  He doesn't cook dinners that often, but when he does, it's generally a variation of fried rice.  He was the one who introduced me to it as something you could make yourself.  Here is a vegetarian version, but he likes adding bacon or chicken (though between the eggs & edamame adding extra protein shouldn't be a concern).  I try to keep it healthy by using brown rice, lots of veggies, and as little oil and soy sauce as I can stand.  Though I pretty much always end up using all my daily allotted sodium and then some whenever I have fried rice.

Vegetable Fried Rice
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup onion
2 eggs
1 cup mixed frozen veggies
1 cup frozen broccoli
1/2 cup frozen edamame beans  --these are soybeans and are a very healthy source of protein (more detail below)
2 cups cooked brown rice
light sodium soy sauce to taste

1. If you're like me you'll have to start off by cooking yourself some rice.  One of these days I'll plan ahead and actually have leftover rice that I need to use and make fried rice the traditional way.

2. I put the frozen veggies in the pan with no oil and cover it with a lid and let the veggies steam themselves for a few minutes.  When they're done put them on a plate and cover it with a pot lid to keep them warm while you cook the rest. (Technically the frozen edamame should be cooked in a boiling pot of water for several minutes, but I don't bother because I'm lazy.  Warning: the lazy methods leads to the edamame being mildly crunchy.)

3. Now it's time to cook the eggs.  Scramble the 2 eggs and cook them with the onion in 1 tbsp olive oil.

4. When the eggs are done, add the veggies back into the pan along with the cooked rice.  Add 1 tbsp olive oil and soy sauce to taste.  Mix it all around and cook it for a few more minutes.

 This isn't nearly enough soy sauce. For me.  I add more on my plate.  My boyfriend has more sodium self-control than I do.

*Edamame Info:  You can buy it at Target.  For some reason the Archer Farms calls the shelled version (trust me, you don't want to deal with the shells) mukimame, but it actually is edamame. Look:

No comments:

Post a Comment